Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Home Tour Tuesday - Master Bedroom



I debated sharing our master bedroom just because it’s kind of weird having the place where you sleep all over the internet for everyone to see.  However, I’ve pretty much been an open book since I started this blog and I’ve shared everything else, so I figured, might as well!

One of the most important requirements for me when building our home was to have the master bedroom be on the second floor.  These days, the most popular floor plans seem to include a master bedroom on the ground floor with the remaining bedrooms upstairs.

That just does not fly with me. 

Why, you ask?  Honestly, because I’m paranoid about somebody climbing in my window at night while I sleep.  Haha.  I wish I was kidding, but I’m totally not.  Growing up, my bedroom was on the second floor of my parents’ house, and then when I lived with my best friend after college, my bedroom was on the second floor of our townhouse so I always felt secure.  When I moved in with Brian after we got married, our house was only one story so our bedroom was on the ground floor.  I cannot even tell you how many nights I laid there trying to go to sleep and thinking that someone was going to break in through our bedroom window and kill me in my sleep. 

Extreme, yes.  #JustKeepinItReal

When we started looking at floorplans, there were two that had the master bedroom upstairs.  Fortunately, we loved both of them, so it all worked out for the best.

The door to our bedroom opens into what is supposed to be a sitting area, but our bedroom furniture was so large that we decided to use that area to house my dresser.  Eventually, we will move the rocking chair from Olivia’s room in front of the window in that area as well, but for now, it’s open and spacious… the perfect place to set up the ironing board when I need to iron (which is one of my least favorite things to do).









Our bedroom is on the back side of the house, which I love, because it overlooks nothing but our back yard and the woods behind it.  We can somewhat see the backs of our neighbors’ yards, but since we’re on a curve in a cul-de-sac, our back yards angle away from each other.  Also nice.  There are three windows across the back of the room and they let the perfect amount of natural light in during the day.  That’s my favorite thing about the entire room.

 



Another favorite is the tray ceiling and… the ceiling fan.  While I love pretty things and I would adore a chandelier over the bed, it’s just not worth it to sacrifice my beloved fan.  We live in the south, y’all, and it gets hot, and the one thing I absolutely cannot stand is being hot while I sleep. Therefore, our ceiling fan runs on high probably around eight months of the year.  True story.












This painting is very special to us because it is a painting of the place where we got engaged, and it was painted by Brian’s aunt.  When she found out that we were getting married, she told us that she would like to paint something to hang in our house, and she asked for some ideas of what to paint.  We sent her a picture of our special place, and she turned it into a work of art.  It’s one of the most special things that anyone has ever done for us, and I will cherish it forever.




Our favorites of our engagement and wedding pictures hang to the right of our bathroom door, and one of my favorite song lyrics from my very favorite band (Dave Matthews Band) hangs to the left of the door.  







That about sums up the room.  I hope that you enjoyed the tour!  If you missed any of the other tours, you can find them below.











14 comments:

  1. So spacious! I love all of the natural light. We have a ton of natural light in our house, too. It is one of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your room is huge! I'm sooo jealous! I love the way it's decorated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzie! Yes, it's really big... I really wish that we had moved the wall in a little to make the playroom bigger instead of the bedroom! It's almost too big and I feel like some of that space could be better used somewhere else!

      Delete
  3. Your bedroom is beautiful! I love how light and airy it is. I love how you decorated it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I'm not a fan of first floor masters either. It's crazy that so many newer homes only have first floor masters. I don't understand why anyone would want that, but that's just me I guess. I also love your tray ceiling - and I'm with you on ceiling fans. We have one in our master and use it every single night, all year round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love! You have such a beautiful home. Your curtains are awesome...the colors match wonderfully and the white looks so crisp. Love stripes. I can only imagine how special that painting is. You have such an artistic family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha the first thing I did when I moved into our house was yank the ceiling fan off and put up a chandelier! But living in Canada where we have the heat on for 6 months of the year, it just wasn't that necessary. I love how bright and spacious your bedroom is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! We leave our ceiling fan on all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your bedroom. So much bigger than mine. And the ceilings are beautiful too. Love that painting from your aunt. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love getting glimpses into homes! Your bedroom looks so pretty and like such a peaceful place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bedroom is huge!!! Wait until you see my master bedroom, it's tiny. You'll laugh!

    I love that painting...I'd love to have one of where we were engaged! Your family is so loving and talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, you're so silly!

      And thank you, I love it, too. It's definitely one that will hang in our house forever.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment... I read and respond to each and every one! However, if you are a no-reply blogger (meaning that your email address is not connected to your Blogger account), I will not be able to reply to you directly via email... you will have to check back on the blog post for a response!